Location: anywhere in Australia with broadband internet access
Honorarium: $150 (+GST if you are registered) per issue, with the expectation of 11 to 12 issues produced per year.
The current Co-Editors, Tara Roberson and Jessica Scholle, are resigning after 2 years and 3-4 months in the role*, so ASC is looking for a new Editor (or two co-editors) effective from the February 2018 issue (prepared in advance for sending to members on Wednesday 7th February). Tara and Jess will be available to handover to the new Editor/s to ensure a smooth transition into the role.The role includes the following activities:
- Sourcing content from ASC branches, members and web editors (usually in the first two weeks of the month)
- Occasionally interviewing people (members and non-members) for profile pieces
- Listing recent news items or summarising topical stories to keep members up to date on current science communication issues
- Editing content for consistency of style and formatting including permalinks, extracts and tagging
- Working with the executive officer to ensure the member distribution list is current
- Formatting the month’s material into short ‘teaser’ formats with click-throughs
- Managing images and checking we have rights to use images in newsletter
- Circulating (via Mail Chimp) to the membership on the first Wednesday of the month
- Responding to feedback from members, the National Executive
- Attending the monthly ASC Communication team meeting and providing input (or driving) Scope planning
- Liaising with a team of volunteer contributors to gather and create newsletter stories/content
- Liaising with the webmaster, executive officer, web editors and the national president as needed.
The key selection criteria for this role are:
- Established interest in science communication
- Computer and internet literacy, in particular familiarity (or can quickly get familiarity) with WordPress, MailChimp, Dropbox, Word/Pages, PowerPoint, image editing software
- Excellent time management skills
- Capacity to commit ~15 hours per month to ASC activities.
- Applicants must be current financial members of the ASC
Applications are invited by email no later than 5 pm on Friday 15 December 2017 for the attention of Kali Madden (ASC Executive Officer) at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include a link to your current LinkedIn profile (and/or a current CV) along with a brief statement about why you think you’d be great for the role.
* Victoria Leitch also spent 2 years and 4 months in the role before handing over to Jess and Tara. Here is what she said about it.