The Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) looks to a world where poverty has been reduced and the livelihoods of many improved through more productive and sustainable agriculture emerging from collaborative international research. ACIAR is a small government agency where your contribution can have wide reaching international impact.
You are a highly energetic, achievement-oriented person with a proven track record in public affairs, media or journalism. You are a relationship builder and an influential communicator and dedicated to working in a collegial mode with internal and external stakeholders.
About the role
Reporting to the Manager Communications and Governance the Public Affairs Officer duties include:
- Assisting with media relations (with local and international media), including: handling media inquiries, writing media releases, organising press events, monitoring and compiling media coverage and building and maintaining target media lists.
- Facilitating and arranging media interaction for senior staff and project leaders, providing support including arranging interviews, briefing and press conferences.
- Preparing statements, backgrounders, key messages, talking points, opinion articles and Questions and Answers.
- Assisting with planning, writing, copyediting and proofreading articles for Partners magazine, photo sourcing and editing, preparing information for the website and other communications material.
- Conducting research and fact checking for the preparation of publications, media releases, speeches, presentations, reports and briefs.
- Assisting with developing and implementing communications plans (corporate and program), media plans and public awareness initiatives.
About our conditions
We are located at Fern Hill Park, Bruce (Canberra) close to bus routes and community facilities and we have free parking. We offer flexibility in working practices and employment conditions.
How to apply
Applicants must address the selection criteria and must be Australian citizens. A candidate information pack including selection criteria should be obtained from www.aciar.gov.au/recruitment or by telephoning 02 6217 0500. Completed applications, can be emailed to the HR Manager: Ms Sharyn Turner email email@example.com. Applications close 28 February 2010.