The media scene has changed, and so has the role of the media release. But what is the new role, and how can science make the best use of them?
ASC QLD’s first writing workshop for 2011 will teach you how to:
- How to identify the most important and interesting thing in the story, the essential idea that will interest the journalist
- Structure an effective media release
- Design clear media messages – that make both journalists and scientists happy!
Write, and rewrite effective media release
- Manage scientists: what they think is important is not necessarily going to interest the media!
- Get timely approvals from the talent, your managers and collaborators
- Distribute and follow up your releases
This will be a practical workshop and participants should bring laptops, and draft or past media releases to work on. Comprehensive notes will be provided to students.
ASC Writing Workshop
Tuesday 27th September, 2011 6pm-9pm
The Queens Arms Hotel, 64 James Street, New Farm.
Jenni Metcalfe and Toss Gascoigne, who have been training scientists and others for more than 18 years in communication skills
$99 for ASC members; $165 for non-ASC members. This includes food and supper.
Please RSVP robbie[at]econnect.com.au ASAP to secure your spot