Have your finger on the pulse, gain new skills, make a difference to ASC
Location: anywhere in Australia with broadband internet access
Honorarium: $150 (+GST) per issue, with the expectation of 10 to 11 issues produced per year.
Scope is the monthly online newsletter of the Australian Science Communicators (ASC), a network of 400 + professional science and technology communicators across Australia and overseas.
The current Editor, Sally Miles, is resigning due to competing commitments, so ASC is looking for a new Editor (or two co-editors) effective from the June 2013 issue. Sally will be available to handover to the new Editor to ensure a smooth transition into the role.
The role includes the following activities:
- Sourcing content from ASC branches, members and web editors (usually in the first two weeks of the month)
- Occasionally interviewing people (members and non-members) for profile pieces
- Listing recent news items or summarising topical stories to keep members up to date on current science communication issues
- Editing content for consistency of style and formatting including permalinks, extracts and tagging
- Working with the membership officer to ensure the member distribution list and log-in activation codes are current
- Formatting the month’s material into short ‘teaser’ formats with click-throughs
- Managing images and checking we have rights to use images in newsletter
- Circulating (via Mail Chimp) to the membership on the third Thursday of the month
- Responding to feedback from members, the National Executive
- Attending the monthly ASC Communication team meeting and providing input (or driving) Scope planning
- Liaising with the webmaster, membership officer, web editors and the national president as needed.
The key selection criteria for this role are:
- Established interest in science communication
- Computer and internet literacy, in particular familiarity (or can quickly get familiarity) with WordPress, MailChimp, Dropbox, Word/Pages, PowerPoint, Keynote
- Excellent time management skills
- Capacity to commit ~15 hours per month to ASC activities.
Applications are invited by email no later than 5 pm on 19 May 2013 for the attention of Claire Harris (ASC Vice President) at: email@example.com
Please include a brief CV (two pages maximum) and a statement addressing the selection criteria with relevant evidence along with contact details of two professional referees (one page maximum). Applications must be submitted in PDF or Word 2003/2007 format (.doc or .docx). Candidates must be current financial members of ASC.
If you have any technical questions about the role, email Sally at: firstname.lastname@example.org