CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
You are invited to express your interest in appointment to the newly-created part-time position of General Manager of the Australian Science Communicators (ASC).
Location: anywhere in Australia with broadband internet access. Committee meetings held via Skype.
The ASC is a professional body representing and supporting some 500 science communicators working in a wide range of roles. The ASC organises a variety of social and professional development events to allow its members to both mingle and learn, maintains a website, email lists for posting and a monthly electronic newsletter and stages National Conferences. The ASC enjoys a high profile in the science communication community and a strong relationship with relevant programs of the Commonwealth Government.
The General Manager will be responsible for the external relations of the ASC, including management of externally funded projects (such as those linked to the Inspiring Australia initiative), liaison with Government and with organisations that share its objectives, and delivery of National Conferences. The General Manager will report directly to the President of the ASC, and will work in parallel with the already-appointed Executive Officer who is responsible for internal administration and member value.
The appointment will be for six (6) months in the first instance but can be renewed subject to satisfactory performance. Remuneration will be calculated on the basis of one day’s work per week as a stipend but there will be opportunities for additional remuneration based on performance in certain areas.
Skills and Experience
· Substantial experience in science communication, including awareness of the nature and activities of the Australian science communication community.
· Verbal and written communication skills of a high order
· Demonstrated success in the initiation, marketing and delivery of projects and collaborations
· Strong administrative, relationship management and negotiation skills.
· Experience in interaction with Government agencies.
· Experience in the staging of conferences.
· Manage a range of externally-directed projects intended to raise the profile and impact of the ASC in the science communication and wider communities.
· Secure of additional revenue for the ASC through sponsorship or by the initiation of new externally-funded projects.
· Build and sustain relationships with other relevant organisations, including Government.
· Lead the staging of National Conferences.
· Report regularly or as required to the President and the National Executive on progress and initiatives.
· Attend meetings of the National Council and National Executive.
· Work cooperatively with the Executive Officer.
Over the six month contract the remuneration will be $300 per week.
This is equivalent to:
Gross annual base salary:
Applications for appointment to this position, addressing all criteria and accompanied by a CV and references, must be received by the Executive Officer, Kali Madden, email@example.com, by 28 June 2013. The employment contract which contains the complete list of duties, details of remuneration and performance bonus is available on request from Kali. It is anticipated that the appointment will commence in late July 2013.
Will Grant, ASC Vice President, firstname.lastname@example.org, may be contacted to discuss the position. Email enquiries are preferred for an initial enquiry.