The ASC Canberra committee aims to provide useful, thought-provoking and fun events, short courses and support to local ASC members. We also provide input to the national activities.
2021 AGM details
The 2021 AGM will be held at the Turner Bowls Club on Monday 29 November. Meeting is at 6pm, with social bowls to follow at 7pm.
The proposed agenda is available to view online via this Google Doc, which will be updated to reflect the final agenda ahead of the meeting. We ask all ASC ACT members to use this form to RSVP ahead of the event, and to submit their agenda items up until 21 November.
COVID-19 supported memberships
As a COVID-19 support package, ASC Canberra would like to offer six people financial support to join or continue their membership with the Australian Science Communicators for the 2022 calendar year, funded by the ACT Branch of ASC. Supported positions are available for people in these three categories:
- students who will be studying in the ACT SciComm field during 2022
- recent SciComm graduates who will be beginning their career journeys in the ACT during 2022, who graduated during 2020 or 2021
- established practitioners in the ACT SciComm field, who may have
experienced income drops during 2020-21
The 2020-21 ACT branch committee is:
- President – Jirana Boontanjai
- Vice President – Tom Carruthers
- Treasurer (Financial administrator) – Stuart McMillen
- Secretary – Karina Judd
- National Liaison Officer – Camille Thomson
Some of our popular events have included:
- Cartoons, Science and Politics – Communicating Big Ideas
- Regular networking nights with ASC members
- The Science of Beer
- Careers in Research: Is Australia producing too many PhDs? – Panel discussion
- MayDay! Re-examing Canberra’s deadliest plane crash – National Science Week
- Producing great podcasts – workshop
- Big Snapshot of Australian Science Engagement! (on behalf of national ASC project team)Clean Energy Future: Using market research to inform strategy
- Communicating the “State of the environment”
- Are you π-curious?
- CSI vs Real Forensic Science
- Science Communicators: where would science be without them?
- Improving your writing: how to edit your own work
- Coffee and Connections
Keep up to date with upcoming events:
- We regularly email our members – make sure your details are up to date!
ACT Inspiring Australia website (list of science based events in the Canberra region)
For more information on events, interest in joining our committee, or to suggest an event you would like to see run in the ACT, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org – we always welcome your comments.
Like us at our Facebook Page