These lists are unmoderated and are publicly searchable on the internet.
Free to subscribe, pay to post.
WARNING: We are unable to delete posts that have been sent to the lists. Please consider carefully being sending as your post will remain publicly searchable on the internet forever more.
Messages sent to the lists are size restricted (no images, PDFs etc please) to keep the volume down and performance up. If you wish to include images and other attachments, please publish them somewhere else and link to them in your text.
We rely on members of the community to follow some basic list etiquette, and, if any issues arise, to communicate directly with the person/s involved to resolve these.
If you have concerns about use of the lists please share these with us by emailing your concerns to web [at] asc.asn.au.
Subscription is free, but you must pay to post.
How to Register to Post on the ASC Email Lists
I’m an ASC member, why aren’t I on the list?
Members and non-members are allowed to join the list.
The ASC office does not add you to the list, it is your responsibility.
How do I subscribe/unsubscribe?
Both lists use Mailman, which allows all administration on the web by subscribers.
How does it work?
The mailing list simply copies any email it receives and sends it to all the addresses subscribed to the list. At the moment it is open for anyone to subscribe (although only ASC members can post to the lists).
How do I post a message?
A mailing list distributes multiple copies of email messages.
When you send an email to the list, it sends a copy of the message to all subscribers. That’s presently more than 1,500 people.
Bcc yourself so that you can be certain your post has sent correctly.
I have sent a message, but it didn’t appear. Why?
It is a good idea to always bcc yourself on your posts to the lists so that you know it has been sent correctly. If you are uncertain that your post sent, check the list archives to make sure.
If your post was definitely not sent, one of the following occurred:
- You sent an email with an attachment. Attachments are not allowed.
- You sent an email that was too large. Size is limited to manage storage space.
- You sent an email that looked like a spam mail. Does the subject have words such as WIN, FREE, DEBT, SEX? Does the To: field have more than 10 email addresses? If so you need to change your email and resend it.
- You are not on the list. Visit ASC-list or ASC-media list pages and follow the on screen instructions to ensure you are registered with the same email address you are using to post. If you are, then you have not requested posting rights. Do so by emailing web [at] asc.asn.au to request posting rights be activated.
I’ve forgotten my password ?
View the media archive at http://lists.asc.asn.au/pipermail/asc-media/
I thought I was on the list. What happened?
One of the following:
- Your email address changed. Some organisations have simplified their email addresses (eg. CSIRO email addresses now end with @csiro.au). You will need to unsubscribe your old email address and subscribe your new one. See below.
- You were removed from the list for the following reasons:
- You email server was returning email from the list.
- You set your ‘out of office’ assistant and we received multiple emails from you.
- You breached the rules of conduct for the email list.
Email web@ [at] asc.asn.au