Editor, Australian Science Communicators www.asc.asn.au
Location: anywhere in Australia with broadband internet access
Honorarium: $150 per issue, with the expectation of 10 to 11 issues produced per year.
SCOPE is the monthly online newsletter of the Australian Science Communicators (ASC), a network of 500 + professional science and technology communicators across Australia and overseas.
The current Editor, Laura Miles, is resigning due to competing board commitments, so ASC is looking for a new Editor effective from the August 2011 issue. Laura will be available to handover to the new Editor to ensure a smooth transition into the role.
The role includes the following activities:
- Sourcing content from ASC branches, members and web editors in the first two weeks of the month;
- Listing recent news items or summarising topical stories to keep members apprised of current science communication issues;
- Editing content for consistency of style and formatting including permalinks, extracts and tagging;
- Working with the membership officer to ensure the member distribution list and log-in activation codes are current;
- Formatting up the month’s material into short ‘teaser’ formats with click-throughs and circulating to the membership on the third Thursday of the month;
- Responding to feedback from members and non-members; and
- Liaising with the webmaster, membership officer, web editors and the national president regarding web strategy and policy.
The key selection criteria for this role are:
- Evidence of an established interest in science communication;
- Computer and internet literacy, in particular WordPress and Gmail/Google Docs;
- Excellent time management skills; and
- Capacity to commit ~10 hours per month to ASC activities.
Applications are invited by e-mail no later than 5 pm on 21 July 2011 for the attention of Jesse Shore, ASC National President at: jesse [at] prismaticsciences.com.
Please include a brief CV (two pages maximum) and a statement addressing the selection criteria with contact details of two professional referees (one page maximum). Applications must be submitted in PDF or Word 2003/2007 format (.doc or .docx). Candidates must be current financial members of ASC.
If you have any technical questions about the role, e-mail Laura at: editor [at ] asc.asn.au