About the role
The Executive Officer has historically been the central hub for all member enquiries and supporter of the National Executive Committee’s projects and initiatives. For the past several years, this is the only paid role at the Australian Science Communicators.
Until recently, the role has been filled by a long-standing employee who has chosen to stand down from the role. This leaves a significant gap in the organisation with many tasks being absorbed by volunteers. We are keen to reduce the number of volunteer hours as a priority.
In the immediate term, we are seeking the support of a temporary contractor who can invoice for their time. As part of our strategic review, it is expected this role will evolve into one or more operational and strategic positions. It is expected the successful contractor will support the design of this.
- Provide executive support to the National Executive Committee
- Be the key point of contact for all general office and member enquiries and respond to these in a timely manner
- Use our membership management platform to manage and modify membership information, extract data and reports, raise and edit invoices, and other membership-related tasks
- Manage online account access, subscriptions and services, and keep information up to date
- Manage other administration-related and ad-hoc tasks, keep documentation organised and up to date
- Assist with bookkeeping, invoicing and accounting-related tasks where needed
- Provide event-related support where needed
- Other activities as appropriate and requested by the National Executive Committee
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has excellent communication and customer service skills
- Can manage their own time and priorities
- Has flexibility in their schedule to monitor email inboxes at least once every 24-48 hours and allocate enough time to respond to enquiries when needed
- Can rapidly problem-solve around complex technologies and systems
- Is familiar with the principles of using a CRM and accounting software such as Xero
This role will be contracted at a weekly rate of $300-450 (ex. GST) pending experience and impact. Including additional load during the conference season, the estimated time requirement is between 6 – 10 hours per week (more initially as you become familiar with our systems). Should more consistent time be required, we will appropriately increase the weekly rate to cover.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch via office @ asc.asn.au if you are interested in discussing the role and your suitability. The role will be filled once a suitable candidate has been found.
About the Australian Science Communicators
The Australian Science Communicators is the peak body for science communication in Australia. Established in 1994, it represents a body of over 200 members with an interest in science communication.
2022 and 2023 has been a period of significant change, which will continue until the national conference, held in June 2024 in Perth. Further strategic review of the organisation, its operations and priorities are currently underway.